Registering For Tax In Ireland

If you’re setting up a Limited Company in Ireland, you will need to register for tax. In fact, you may have to register for 3 or 4 different kinds of taxes or levies.

If you’re a Sole Trader, there are also taxes which you need to register for.

The tax you pay will depend on the size and type of your business and what sector you belong to, this may mean your tax registration will involve different steps.

Below are the main tax and VATrates for businesses and how to register;

Still Deciding?

Our client services team are always happy to talk to you about what's best for your needs.

Get Started

Corporation Tax

There are two rates you can pay for Corporation Tax; 12.5% and 25%. To qualify for 12.5% Corporation Tax you will need to prove to Revenue that your company is centrally controlled and managed in Ireland, if this cannot be proved you will pay 25%. To register for Corporation Tax you will need to fill out TR2 form. Corporation Tax is only applicable to Limited Companies. If you’re interested in setting up an Irish Limited Company, you can get in touch with us.

Value Added Tax

You will need to register for VAT once you reach the VAT Threshold, €37,500 for services and €75,000 for goods. The rates of VAT are dependant on what service or goods your business provides.

You can register for VAT using a TR2 form.

It’s very common for Revenue to ask for proof that you require a VAT number when registering for this tax. It’s important to show trade in Ireland to be eligible for a VAT number. We also have a very helpful guide that focuses more on VAT and how you register for VAT.

Employer Pay As You Earn Tax

If your company or business has employees, you will need to register your business as an employer. Once you are registered as an employer, you business is liable to pay PAYE (Pay As You Earn).

If you are registered for ROS you can register for PAYE online.

If you are unable to register online you can register using a TR1 form for sole traders or TR2 form for a company.

Relevant Contract Tax

Relevant Contracts Tax applies where a principal contractor is paying a sub-contractor for carrying out or supplying labour in relevant sectors such as construction, forestry, and the meat processing industry. As a principal contractor, you need to file the contract on the Revenue system.

You can register for Relevant Corporation Tax using a TR2 Form.

Preliminary Tax & Self Assesment

Sole Traders in Ireland need to register for Self-Assessment Tax. For this, you will need to make a self-assessment for the previous year of business. Self-assessment filings are due on October 31st each year. But, these filings are for the previous year. So, if you set up as a Sole Trader in March 2018, you will not need to file self-assessment for October 2018.

You will also need to pay preliminary tax for the current year in October. Preliminary tax is the estimate of your Income Tax, PRSI and USC that you expect to pay for a tax year.

To make an Income Tax Return you will need to complete a Form 11.

Our Accountancy Services Include

  • VAT Registration, Preparation and Filing
  • Pre-Startup
  • Payroll Services
  • Tax Consulation
  • Startup Offer for New Limited Companies
  • Rental Income Accounts & Tax Returns
  • Capital Gains Tax
  • Directors Returns
  • Accounting & Bookkeeping
  • Annual Accounts & Corporation Tax Return

You may also be interested in